Saturday, November 24, 2012

Picture Book Saturday: Just Right for Christmas

Now that Thanksgiving has passed us, I feel like I can finally write about the Christmas books Elliott and I have started to enjoy. I'm one of those people that really likes to go about my year one holiday at a time, so even though I started to receive the books a few months ago, I was kind enough to spare you the chatter until now. You're welcome. 

Just Right for Christmas by Birdie Black and Rosalind Beardshaw is yet another absolutely charming book published by Candlewick. I can't even begin to explain how much I love their books -- some of the best this year for us. 

In this one, a simple piece of beautiful red cloth makes the "just right" gift for five animal strangers. From a king who creates a grand cloak for the princess all the way down to the mouse who makes a teeny tiny scarf for her little boy mouse, the scraps from each gift are just right to make the next gift, with leftovers to share. 

Not only is the message of the story perfect for this time of year, but the illustrations are just gorgeous. Since E is still pretty young to sit through a whole story, I think his favorite part is the doses of vibrant red on each page. I'm a fan of that to :)

We definitely recommend you add this one into your holiday reading list. It's a very sweet read and holds a great message of sharing with others when you're done using something or recycling things you no longer need. 

Thanks again to Candlewick to sending this one along to us!

1 comment:

Lynne Watts said...

This sounds like a terrific book. I could even envision using it in the classroom to talk about sharing and how we all have something to share -- even when it seems small! Thanks for SHARING!