Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 End of Year Book Survey

It's time for the recap of a year of reading. In the coming days, I'll probably talk a little about how I failed at all of my reading resolutions last year and what I hope to accomplish in 2013, but for now, let's just talk about all the fun reading that I did get done in 2012.  

Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner has put together an awesome survey that asks all the right questions. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. 

1. Best book you read in 2012 (you can break it down by genre if you want)?

I definitely have to break it down and will certainly be cheating. Can't pick just one!

Adult Fiction: The Proper Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns by Margaret Dilloway/The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

Adult Non-Fiction: The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn/Bloom by Kelle Hampton

YA Fiction: This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers/Jepp, Who Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh

Middle Grade: Fourmile by Watt Key/Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Picture Book: And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano/Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett/Boy and Bot by Ame Dickman.


2. Book you were excited about and thought you would love more, but didn't?

Code Name Verity. I know, I know. Definitely in the minority here, but I couldn't even get past the first 75 pages. I'm told it's one of those, like Jellicoe Road, that you just have to slog through the first part and then it gets great, but I just don't know if I'm willing to try again. 


3. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2012?

Where We Belong by Emily Giffin. I've always thought Giffin wrote "fluff." Books to read on the beach and that didn't have a whole lot of emotional depth. Definitely wrong on that one! Can't wait to read the next. 


4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

Even though I read it in 2011, I'm still recommending The Fault in Our Stars to everyone I talk to. This year, Gone Girl and The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila were recommended quite a bit. 


5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

The Curse Workers series by Holly Black. Definitely didn't think they were my thing, but I loved her writing. 


6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

Margaret Dilloway (The Proper Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns) and Emily Giffin (Where We Belong) we both new to me and I loved their books! 


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Rotters by Daniel Krause. I'm not a big horror reader or reader of gruesome stuff and this was definitely gross in parts, but the writing was awesome. 


8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book?

I'll go with the majority this year and say Gone Girl


9. Book you're most likely to re-read next year?

Dinner: A Love Story and The Homemade Pantry. They're both cookbooks, but have a great readability to them, as well. 


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?


Jepp, Who Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh. 


11. Most memorable character?

Louise from The Chaperone. Such a fiesty girl for her time. Or Amy of Gone Girl. She be nuts. 


12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?


Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected by Kelle Hampton. So honest. I also absolutely love her 
blog


13. Book that had the greatest impact on you?


The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. I read this book cover-to-cover in the early part of the year and still reference it all the time. I've also changed the way I spend my money, to whom I give it to, and a lot of other things after reading it. It's an important book, even for those that aren't Christian. 


14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2012 to read?

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. It was the last Green book I needed to read and I think I was just trying to draw it out. It will be SO long until he publishes another. 


15. Favorite passage/quote?

Stumped. 


16. Shortest & Longest Book you read in 2012?

I, unfortunately, didn't keep track of pages this year. Hopefully I'll remember to do so in 2013, because it's fun to see those stats! 


17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?

This one had me stumped. I'm not great at remembering details about books I've read months ago. 


18. Favorite relationship from a book (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)?

Tiny and Will Grayson from Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. 


19. Favorite book you read in 2012 from an author you read previously?


Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys. It publishes in 2013 and should be on all of your TBR lists. 


20. Best book you read that was based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?

Gods of Gotham by Lyndsey Faye. I read this one for my book club and probably would never have picked it up if it wasn't a selection. I ended up really, really enjoying it. 






2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm breaking mine into two parts as well, and just posted my survey! I had to go look up Out of the Easy, and immediately added it to my list.

Susan said...

I'm glad you mentioned OUT OF THE EASY. It's a fabulous book that had me hooked from the first page to the last. I loved it.

Happy New Year!