Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cybils: The ones that got away

The first of the year has come and gone and for the kidlit world, that means Cybils announcements! If you haven't yet seen the entire list of finalists, I encourage you to head over to the Cybils blog and check them out! I know my library hold list grew by the dozen. 

This was my 6th year on a Cybils panel, but my first serving as a first round judge for Easy Readers/Early Chapter Books. I had a blast! So many great books were published in those categories in 2012, but we were able to narrow down our shortlist to the following:

Easy Readers

A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse by Frank Viva
Bink and Gollie, Two for One by Kate DiCamillo
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes
Penny and Her Song by Kevin Henkes
Pinch and Dash Make Soup by Michael J. Daley

Early Chapter Books

Ivy and Bean Make the Rules by Annie Barrows
Marty McGuire Digs Worms! by Kate Messner
Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover by Cece Bell
Sadie and Ratz by Sonya Hartnett
Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot by Anna Branford

With so many great books to choose from, it was really hard to pick 5 in each category. I definitely had a few favorites that weren't able to make the list:





This one would make a really fun bedtime read for kids in 1st or 2nd grade (or younger if you're reading aloud). I loved the illustrations and the realistic sibling banter. 




Frog and Fly by Jeff Mack

My favorite of "the ones that got away," I think kids will really laugh out loud at the antics between frog and fly. A great intro into chapter books. 



Emily Jenkins is just awesome. These books are fun and imaginative. Boys and girls can enjoy the relationship between Henry and Inkling. A funny read that was great to read during the fall.

Definitely check them out when you get a chance, though I know everyone's TBR is huge after the announcement on Tuesday. Hooray for another year of Cybils!

1 comment:

Debra said...

I am always looking for more books in this category. I teach second grade and the reading levels are all over the place - some students are reading books like Henry and Mudge or Frog and Toad, while others are ready for chapter books like Ivy and Bean. Sometimes I think there is a need for more "in the middle" of those 2 types. I have added many of these to my class library, but it is nice to find a few titles I didn't know about.