Tuesday, January 8, 2013

In which I've gone and joined Stitch Fix

Ok, friends, now I've talked enough on this blog about needing fashion help. I'm not a totally lost cause -- I do think I have some sense of what looks good on other people, but as for dressing myself, I'm kinda hopeless. I wear a lot of cardigans over tank tops, jeans, and ballet flats, because I have no idea what else would look good on me. I consider my body shape somewhat odd and difficult to fit, so things that I think will look great, look dowdy. 

I'm only 5'2 and somewhat of a pear shape. Small on top, muscular thighs (we'll call them muscular, because it makes me feel better ;) and large calves. I really should have every single item I ever buy altered, but I don't. Pants are always tight in the legs and too big in the waist --and always too long, even if I buy the ones labeled "short" or "ankle" length. I'm also still working on losing weight (halfway there!), so I'm not entirely comfortable in my skin either. 

I also dress on the modest side. Nothing sleeveless without a cardigan on top, no skirts above the knee, etc. If you're interested in what I like, I've pinned a ton of outfits to a Pinterest board (which the stylists also will look at). Someone just needs to find all of those items for me. Please? On the cheap. 





(Images from Pinterest, built via Polyvore I believe)

When I saw a few bloggers start talking about Stitch Fix, I read their posts and their testimonials to how awesome the company was, especially for those fashion cowards like myself. I waited a few weeks to see how many of the bloggers loved the clothing boxes they received and then I signed up to wait for an invite myself. I was, admittedly, a little apprehensive, but I filled out the extensive style profile and waited for a stylist to pick out my clothes.

When my first "fix" came, the week of Christmas, I had so much fun opening that box. It was like another Christmas gift, picked out just for me, with my likes and dislikes in mind. Such fun! Well, except I had to actually purchase the clothes. Small details. 

My box contained: a knit gray poncho, an organic cotton open cardigan, a sheer black dressy top, and a beautiful print sleeveless top, along with a delicate gold necklace with a pink charm. I never expected to like every single item, but I totally did. A couple were a little out of my comfort zone, which I appreciated, and ended up keeping one of those. The whole point is for someone to tell me what looks good right?  I'm a loser and didn't take photos -- next time! 

I kept the black sheer top and have already worn it four times. Perfect for dressing up or down. And for those fashion newbies, like me, they include a card that illustrates two ways to wear each item. So cool! 

For those worried about the cost, as I was: I'm cheap, I'll admit it. I like to reuse everything possible and shop for my clothing at thrift and discount stores, so spending a chunk of money on one or two items is difficult for me. That being said, I've been complaining for years that I don't have any NICE clothes in my closet and this company is going to help me turn that around. Though I'd love to buy every item in every fix box, I can't. Stay-at-home-mom = not a lot of money. But, I can buy one or two and slowly build up my wardrobe. 

The details: 

-Head over to Stitch Fix and sign up for an invite. It may take awhile, but I received mine in less than a week. 

-Schedule your Fix. It costs $20 to get a fix box sent to your house. If you decide to purchase something out of the box, the $20 is credited towards that item(s). You're basically paying for someone to handpick items for you and ship both ways. All of that is free if you buy an item. A pretty amazing deal, I think. 

-If you like it all, keep it all and they'll charge you for it all. Sending stuff back? Pop it in the postage-paid envelope within 3 days and they charge you only for what you keep, minus your $20 fee. 

-The style profile you fill out is crazy detailed. Everything from height/weight/hair color to picking from inspiration boards as to what you like and don't like. It's awesome. 

-You can get a Fix monthly or just once-in-awhile, which I love. If it's not in your budget to get a box every month, you don't have to. 

Longest post ever, but seriously, I'm really loving this company and needed to share. I was not at all compensated for my opinions and Stitch Fix has no idea who I am. 


7 comments:

By Amy B. said...

I joined and it's all your fault! HAHAHA! I'll let you know how it goes!

Amanda said...

Hooray! It's so much fun and such a great way to get nice pieces into the closet.

April (BooksandWine) said...

I just signed up as well! Yay!

Michelle (my books. my life.) said...

I gave in and requested an invite. Peer pressure at it's finest.

Amanda said...

So glad you all are interested. I think everyone needs to feel good about themselves and wearing a nice piece of clothing certainly helps me with that. Can't wait to hear about your Fixes!

Ami said...

I did too. I'll tell Mike it's your fault if I spend too much:)

trish said...

I think I've heard about this before but just didn't want to sign up. I think I will sign up this time, though, because I HATE shopping but love looking cute, which means I feel frumpy most of the time because I can't be bothered to go hunt for clothes!