Sunday, January 20, 2013

Light box!

I've been sharing with a few of you on Twitter about moods during the gloomy days and winter months and how I've been wanting to try a light therapy box. I asked for your thoughts and my feed exploded with positive feedback from those that have tried light therapy to help boost moods and take away other symptoms seasonal moodiness, without medication.

I've never been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder, so I'm certainly not advocating making medical decisions such as this for those that aren't sure if they have the disorder or not. Just putting that out there. I'm not a doctor or a therapist! I have, however, suffered from diagnosed anxiety disorders for years, as well as depression in my late teens and early twenties. I know the signs and symptoms of a problem and I prefer to treat without medication, if possible.

I've been very blessed that the depression has, for the most part, stayed away for several years, but the anxiety is always around. I've learned tips and tricks to quell it (have a manageable to-do list each day, only listing a few chores every day, giving myself time to sit, etc.), but in the winter it comes back in full force. I'm tired ALL the time and even though I'm a mom of a toddler and I get up early, I do get plenty of rest. 7-8 hours should be plenty for me and it's not. I get overwhelmed very easily and that leads to meltdowns.

I'm trying out this box:




It's the NatureBright SunTouch Plus Lamp. Basically, sit in front of it for 30 minutes a day when symptoms are in full swing and it will help alleviate some of the "gloomy."


I'll let you know how it's going in a few weeks! For now, I've only used it once, and I'll I can say is: holy bright!

Has anyone had success with a light box?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'll be curious to see what you find as you use this. Your 'symptoms' over the years match mine exactly! I'd never thought about SAD as contributing to the anxiety but it makes sense. Looking forward to hearing about your discoveries. (And thanks for blogging, I've 'lurked' off and on for awhile now and have always enjoyed your work.)
amy-happiness-is.blogspot.com