Friday, January 25, 2013

Sick day reading: The Union Street Bakery

Well, I now know how all of you that caught the dreaded stomach bug have felt these past couple of months. I was really hoping it would skip our house, but it started with Elliott, went to me, and has now hit my poor husband, who I think got the worst of it. 



A bit blurry, my apologies. Even when sick, the little monkey is adorable and always with a mischeivous glint in his eye. He's SO his father's child. 


As I was cozied up on the couch yesterday, feeling incredibly sorry for myself, I read The Union Street Bakery by Mary Ellen Taylor. It was a great choice to take my mind off the queasiness in my stomach! It takes place in Old Town Alexandria, where I worked up until November when I decided to stay home with my little guy. It's such a beautiful town, with a truly old fashioned feel, which made for an excellent setting for a story. 

The main character, Daisy, loses her job in finance and is forced to move back home to help run her family's failing bakery on Union Street. In the family for generations, everyone expects Daisy to save the place, though she's not even sure she can. She doesn't really want to be there, doesn't get along with her sisters who also assist in the running of the business, and on her first day back is approached by a crazy old lady who insists she knows Daisy's birth mother who left her at the bakery when she was only three years old. 

There's a bit of a ghost story, a slave's journal, and plenty of baking deliciousness all thrown into the story. It was a quick read, complete with amazing recipes that I cannot wait to try, and characters that were easy to like. 

Even in my stomach flu haze, I did feel like there was a lot going on in the story, but it didn't make me stop reading. I think the ghost portion could have been left out and it would have made for a better flow of plot. The setting, however, was spot on and really fun to read about being a frequent visitor to Old Town.

So many of my blogging pals have been struck down by illness lately too. Make sure you grab a book or two that is easy to read and keeps the pages moving quickly. Too heavy and I know I definitely can't concentrate, especially when my stomach is queasy and my head pounding. Hoping everyone starts feeling better soon!

Thank you to Penguin for the review copy of The Union Street Bakery. 

No comments: